Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I was hired at a Hospice center and have no knowledge of medical terms?

I have never worked in the medical field before, I have always worked as an executive assistant. I was hired to manage all medical records, payroll, HR, and ordering medical supplies at a hospice center. I know I am a fast learner but I was wondering am I going to be over my head? Thank you!I was hired at a Hospice center and have no knowledge of medical terms?
You should be fine. One thing that you'll learn pretty quickly about working in hospice is that your colleagues are going to be very willing to help you pick things up. By the time you finish with orientation, you'll have things wired.



PS Don't listen to anybody that tries to discourage you.
Thank you to everyone who answered, I spoke with the owner and told her that I was a little nervous and she made me feel very comfortable that everyone will be very patient and will help me during training. I pick up things very fast so I am hopeful this will be a great career move. :)

Report Abuse

I was hired at a Hospice center and have no knowledge of medical terms?
medical terms are going to be the least of your worries......... you are going to be dealing with medical records, death certificates, Medicare %26amp; Medicaid regulations, the new MDS 3.0 procedures, record retention, along with the usual HR/payroll issues, then add in ordering supplies...... with the medical records, Medicare/Medicaid parts of this there is NO time to "learn" as you go.
Well then, they should not have hired you, unless you applied for the housekeeping department. Anyone going into nursing, or something that deals with nursing, or even the job you have MUST know medical terms, or else, they can not do their job. Learn the terms online, and ask the other people who work there.
I don't think you'll be in over your head. I'm assuming that they knew you had no previous medical experience when they hired you. More than likely they will be patient while you are learning the terms.There are online medical dictionaries available also, perhaps look up common terms that are used in place of business.



Good Luck!
You'll be fine. Do a quick search on Google or Yahoo and you'll find a variety of on-line courses available for medical aterminology.

I'm in a position where I had to learn a lot of regulations about Medicare, Joint Commission, State regulations and it can be picked up quickly. The internet can be a huge help. Ask your boss for access to regulations and read read read!

No comments:

Post a Comment