Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Is the medical center receptionist allowed to be sick?

I went to see the doctor this morning, and the receptionist was sick. She was sniffing and coughing into her hand, her nose had all veins and was swollen, so she was obviously sick. I reluctantly handed her my cards so she could put through my information, and then I even more reluctantly, out of embarrassment, didn't use a tissue to take them from her as she was giving them back. Although now I wish I did, it should have sent to message to her. What would you have done in my situation?Is the medical center receptionist allowed to be sick?
Well, they do work in medical centres, they exchange papers with ill people every day so, yes, they are allowed to be sick but, they shouldn't be working ill. If I was in that situation I would have asked to speak to another member of staff and told them I was uncomfortable with the situation.
Are they allowed to work when they're sick? Not if the disease is extremely serious and they know they're contagious. No one is. But people send sick kids to school every day, and people go to work sick every day.



I would have refused to hand her anything or take anything from her, and I would have explained why to the doctor. If the doctor hadn't taken action (any of mine would have) - assuming it was an illness, not allergies - I'd let the doctor know who was going to be requesting my medical records and ask for a release to sign - and NOT from that receptionist. (I'm old enough that even the flu can be a serious illness.) I don't use incompetent people, and allowing his receptionist to infect his patients is at least incompetent.Is the medical center receptionist allowed to be sick?
She could have severe allergies

No comments:

Post a Comment