Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I want to design a road pavement of a medical center for my study purpose.what is the common traffic volume,in?

The traffic volume will depend on the size of the clinic, as well as a host of local factors [what percentage of visitors take a bus or subway/trolley, family size, whether families tend to stay in the area, etc].





However, I am not a traffic engineer.


I am a chemical engineer, posting to warn you of one possible hazard that is not at all well known.





If liquid oxygen is spilled on asphalt, and weeks later a wrench is dropped on that spot, the asphalt can explode. I read this close to 15 years ago in Chemical and Engineering News, the American Chemical Society's weekly magazine, though it was on their last page, which sometimes conveys oddball facts as a source of amusement.


However, shortly after I read that, I found myself passing some contractors preparing to install an asphalt dike around a liquid oxygen tank, to contain any spilled LOx.


I got with the company person running the job, and also the site safety office head. She called me back several hours later, confirming that the bit about the explosion was true, but wondering how the bleep I knew it.....





So, if your hospital has a liquid oxygen tank, the paving around it MUST be concrete, not asphalt. The concrete should extend beyond the tank to wherever the LOx truck filling the tank might park, and beyond that to wherever any spilled LOX might run.





Of course, if the hospital has no LOx tank, this does not apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment